What to do in an emergency

If you are in immediate danger you should call 999.

However it’s a good idea to put together a safety plan, so you are prepared for an emergency situation.

This is something we can help you with. and you can find more information about staying safe here.

You may need to leave your home quickly. In which case it's useful to have an escape bag containing the following items:

  1. Passport
  2. Birth and marriage certificates
  3. Driving licence
  4. Medication
  5. Children’s medical records (such as Red Books)
  6. Money and credit cards
  7. Change of clothes for yourself and your children
  8. Keys— house, work, car
  9. Phone and address book
  10. Children’s special blanket or toy
  11. Items you can’t live without
  12. Divorce papers
  13. Copy of injunction
  14. Benefits book/letters
  15. Visa/Immigration documents

Your safety plan should also include where you would go and stay if you need to leave the house quickly. We may be able to offer you a space in our refuge, or refer you to a refuge outside of the area if it’s not safe for you to stay in Brighton.

We can also help you with long-term solutions, such as renting privately or applying for supported housing through the local Council.

Can't leave your home?

It may not be possible to leave the house, in which case make sure you know which room is the safest and head there. Put heavy furniture against the door.

What to do in an emergency

Try to choose a “soft room” as your safest room. Avoid the kitchen as there are too many potential weapons at hand.

What to do in an emergency

You may want to consider the following to help keep you safe at home:

  • A door jammer: A device that stops forced entry
  • Carelink alarm: A pendant and telephone system that connects you to a 24/7 monitoring centre.
  • TecSOS: A mobile device that connects you immediately to the police at the touch of a button.

We can talk you through these options.

What to do in an emergency

If you feel there is a risk of arson, you can contact the East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service (ESFRS) for a home safety assessment.

What to do in an emergency